Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tutorial : Quiet Busy Book - Part 2

I'll do these guides to making quiet book pages two at a time. It will be a quick and easy page and a more time consuming or complex page.

Flower page



This page is intended to work on color matching, buttons, bows and creativity.
Materials:
Felt for page or interfaced fabric. Approx 13x14 inch.
Felt for 5 flowers (10 colors) approx 3 inch square.
Felt for flower pot.
Ribbon for flower stems and pot decoration.
5 buttons to match the felt for flowers.
Thread.

1) Find a suitable flower template. I used one like this
flower template.
2)Cut the flowers out. I made each flower with two similar colors, so my niece could flip the flowers over and see something different. So a light pink and a dark pink, light blue and dark blue.
3) Cut your stem ribbon and insert it into the flower pairs and stitch them together. Cut a button hole and stitch around the hole.
4) Cut out a pot shape. Stitch it together if needed. Add the decorative ribbon. The ribbon on this page can be untied and tied to practice knots and bows.
5) Arrange everything on the page and decide if it's what you like. Remember to leave more room on one side for the binding.
6) Stitch the buttons down. Button the flowers on and stitch the stems where the pot will be. Then stitch the pot down, leaving the top open so it can be used as a pocket.

I did alot of hand stitching on this page. It would be a much faster page if you choose to use a machine to put the flowers together.

Rainbow page



This page is designed to work on colors, counting and fine motor control through sliding objects.
Materials:
Rainbow fabric. I found a fat quarter that worked great!
Interfacing.
Various ribbon colours.
Various bead colours. I found a mixed pack of non toxic wooden beads at the dollar store.

1) Iron the interfacing onto the fabric.
2) Cut the fabric to size.
3) Cut 10 inch pieces of ribbon.
4) Space the ribbon out on the page so it looks good. Remember to leave more room on one side for the binding.
5) Stitch down one side of all ribbons.
6) Add the beads and stitch down the other side.

I'm a nerd, so I decided that I'd arrange the beads in order of what's in the Rainbow. The longer the wavelength, the more beads!
I made this page fairly late in my project, but wish I had done it earlier. Mostly because I discovered that I liked how the interfaced fabric worked compared to the felt. I would have done far more pages this way!

Some inspiration of similar pages (some have button wheels...):
Tidbits
simply complicated
leafy tree top spot

No comments:

Post a Comment