Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer!!!

I know I've been slack on posting... I'm hoping to remedy that shortly. So what have I been doing instead?



Enjoying my Strawberry patch. And weeding my garden. It's a new garden, so it's pretty bad...





Completing an Introduction to Paleontology Course. We went on a field trip!


In Alberta, it is legal to pick up bones from the surface, but not to dig them up unless you have a special permit. You also need permission from the land owner to be there. However, any you do collect do not belong to you... They belong to the people of Alberta, but you can hold on to them. Here's one that I collected... It's part of a rib and the impression of another bone.



What kind of bone is it? It's from a Pachyrhinosaurus. There are two major bone beds for this animal in this region, one on Pipestone Creek and one on the Wapiti River. We went to the Wapiti River one. They are in the process of building the Phillip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum so that the public can more easily access information on this amazing find.
As a side note... I've even managed to find fossils in gravel in a path. Once you know what to look for, they're everywhere!

I'm going to get back to crafty posts soon, summer's just too short to spend indoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment